Saturday, December 23, 2006

Choosing the right blog service

A couple of months back, I began parallel publishing my blog here, and on wordpress.

I planned to use both for a while to see which would be more comfortable to use.

I also wanted to know whether the same content gets different traffic on different locations/environments - ie - blogger versus wordpress.

There was a difference:

1. Wordpress is far simpler to use, with most inputs being click, drag and drop. Including what I find most convenient - "open in new window" for links. In blogger, I needed to go into the html of each link and add the relevant code to open in new window.

2. I believe the new blogger (no more beta) has this function, and I can shift to the new look. But I believe I will lose all my customisations - links, counters, banners, etc and I would have to redo all of them in the new format. I don't have the time or energy to do that.

3. Tracking? Wordpress has a built in stat counter and traffic tracker, although quite basic. Since this is not a professional venture blog, basic stats are good enough for me. So score one more for wordpress.

4. Visitors? They're more or less the same on both locations - although search engines will rank my pages lower as they will discover duplicate content in two different locations (why? how? I'm not sure, but this is a fact I am told).

I now also have my own domain name http://www.noshtradamus.com/ so you can simply type that in (and bookmark it) to arrive at my blog.

At the moment you will automatically get redirected to my wordpress blog. Until I can figure out which specific software to use.

I'm just thinking aloud. I wrote it down, just in case it helps anyone out there who has a similar debate going on in your head!
.

No comments: