What is it that makes people stick to companies? What makes companies stick to each other? What makes countries friends with each other?
Different people will give different reasons and opinions. Some will point to money, similar goals, and common business interests. Another lot would even say language and religion.
As primitive as it may sound, but the latter is usually closer to the truth. Because more often than not, what brings and holds people, companies and even countries together is something broader, but more basic – culture.
While you may unanimously agree that cultures bring and hold people and countries together, you may not have looked at it from the organization perspective, would you?
I often hear people complain about their jobs, their bosses, even the industry within which they work. While the debate and angst may revolve around issues like ego, money, hours, whatever… the point I always say to them is:
1) “Forget these issues for the moment – do you feel that you and your boss/company/industry are culturally matched?
2) Do you have the same set of values and belief systems?
3) If you do have similar values, you should talk about these issues, fight for them, or even wait for them to blow over.
4) But if you find your values and culture do not match – get the hell out of there!”
It’s as simple as that – and this applies to Bosses, Companies, Clients, even Customers.
- How can an organized, polite person work under a chaotic, aggressive boss?
- How can people who believe in honesty and integrity work for companies that hussle and push people?
- How can hierarchy and process driven companies work with companies driven by chaos and lack of role definition?
It’s the basic funda of marketing – you pitch and connect with people with related interests.
The above are just examples of different values and cultures. You can choose any parameters that are really important to you, and then compare them with the parameters and values that are very important to your bosses, companies and clients.
So, now are you keeping your current job and client list? Or do we see a change in the near future?